Kandhamal-Orissa

Certificates denied for Christians in Kandhamal

Prakash Pradhan (a Kandho tribal) is native of village Pikoredi in Tikabali block of Kandhamal. He submitted his application, in July 2012, to the revenue officials of Tikabali Tahasil, for caste certificate, in order to attach to the application for scholarship of his children. During past four months, he visited the offices of Tahasildar and the revenue inspector at least ten times. Finally the tahasildar told him that he could not be given tribal certificate, because he is a christian and that the kui samaj has complained against issuing tribal certificate for him.

Location: 

Good News from Kandhamal-Br. Markose

Bodimunda (Tikabali block), is one of those exceptional villages where persecution of Christians continued (after the violence of 2008), much later even upto end of year 2011. There was social boycott of Christians. If a Hindu shop keeper sold any thing to a christian, that shop keeper was fined. If a taxi, even auto driver took a christian passenger, the driver was fined; if a tractor transported any material for a christian resident of the village, owner and driver of the tractor would be fined.
However, situation has changed for good. Now there is no more animosity. All live in peace. Thanks be to the Lord. It is result of more than two years of continuous, courageous and persistent efforts and prayers. At last deliverance of the Lord reached His people.

Location: 

Kandhamal riot probe stalled

Bhubaneswar: The judicial inquiry into the Kandhamal riots has been stalled with the government yet to name a new probe panel following the death of retired judge S C Mohapatra last month.GCIC has expressed concern regarding the cessation of Kandhamal probe.The government had appointed the one-member Justice Mohapatra commission on September 3, 2008, to inquire into the assassination of senior VHP leader Swami Laxmananand Saraswati and the resulting communal flare up that claimed around 100 lives and rendered thousands homeless.

Location: 

Freed Italian says they were victims of Maoists-govt tussle in Orissa

Kandhamal

Italian tourist Claudio Colangelo, who was released on Sunday after being in Maoist captivity for 11 days, said he became victim of an ongoing tussle between the ultras and the government. While his compatriot Paolo Bosusco (54) was still held captive by the Maoists, 61-year-old Colangelo told reporters after his release: "We got entangled in the conflict between the government and Maoists. We had little knowledge about the Maoist problem in the region."

Location: 

Pages